Friday, April 13, 2012

On A Roll

The format of this "Shoot me in the face" is going to be changing a bit as I proceed. You may not believe it, but I am running out of embarrassing stories about myself (I know, I never thought they would end either), so I will be focusing more on amusing things from today as opposed to yesteryear. Certainly if a repressed memory makes its way to the surface, you will be the first one to know, but for now I would like to share some things I have found humorous.

I apologize about yesterday. I hadn't written in over 6 months and writing has always been a bit of therapy for me. As we know, the Internet is the best therapist (Man kills self after encouragement from folks on Reddit(okay I have to be honest, that whole thing turned out to be a hoax. A guy really killed himself and some Internet trolls decided to make a story out of it (actually kind of creative and the whole story can be found here))).

Speaking of fake bullying (great segue), I don't watch South Park much anymore, but it continues to be relevant and funny from what I understand. I did watch their satire of the movie Bully which was insightful and had some great musical numbers. Here is the song that I have been singing all day today. It's a South Park song, so if you have sensitive sensibilities, maybe you should skip it.
The episode brings up some interesting points such as, if movie Bully is as "important" as the studio's marketing would have us believe, why not just release it for free on the Internet so everyone can see it? I disagree with overall resolution to the episode which basically just says that bullying exists and you won't be a kid forever, so just deal with it and know that in the grand scheme of things, it will be a very short period of time. I was bullied relentlessly (probably not as bad as a lot of people had it) through junior high and high school (no physical abuse, but certainly the threat thereof) and I don't think that ignoring it made it any better for me. I regret not standing up for myself. I think that the new emphasis on bullying might help students stand up and say something when they see it, even and especially if they are not themselves the victim. Some people would argue that adversity builds character, but I don't know that I needed to be called a Faggot to become the man I am today. (Gosh dang it, these new posts were supposed to be lighthearted.)

It could have been worse, I could have been home schooled as this video demonstrates.

Have a wonderful day.

No comments: