Sunday, April 22, 2012

Redesign and The Book Club

Pia and I have been focusing on reading before we go to bed each night. Nothing makes me feel more like my parents than sitting in bed together each with a book resting on our A shaped legs. Memories come in many forms. The traditional memory is like a video, many people say that smell triggers memories, and others are like a photograph. One of the photograph memories I have from my childhood is my parents, in bed, each reading their respective books.

I am about half way done with The Silence of the Lambs, which is really well written, but I feel cheated having seen the movie before I read the book, because now Hannibal Lecter will never be anything more than Anthony Hopkins (albeit in the book he has 11 fingers, so that just reminds me of One Fish Two Fish Red Fish Blue Fish (another book I read quite a bit)).

Pia is reading The Nanny Diaries and Bringing up Bebe because she likes reading books that have some sort of semblance to things that she has gone through (being a nanny). Me, on the other hand, I would rather have my teeth pulled out by a zombified circus clown wielding a rusty pair of pliers than read a book about a dude sells insurance. I can barely stay awake while working, if I had to read about it, there aren't drugs sufficient in this world that could wake me from the coma that would be induced.

I recently finished Ender's Game, which had been on my list of books to get around to for about a decade. It was fine, but after making myself wait 10 years to read it, there is no way to make it live up to that sort of wait. It seems very much in line with other young adult books being turned into movies. Speaking of which, there is a movie in the works, but the lead character is prepubescent throughout the entire arc book and I can count on zero hands how many child actors I can stand watching for more than zero seconds.

There are a couple other fiction books I want to get around to, but I also have a pile of Abraham Lincoln books that I need to get through. So far I have a couple thousand page hard bound book of Lincoln's writings, a separate biography of his writing with analysis, a straight biography of the man himself, The Bill O'Reilly biography of him, and finally Abraham Lincoln Vampire Hunter. The latter, from what I understand, chronicles his early years, before opening his law practice in Illinois.

Well, that's all for book news.

In life news... yep.

I chose a different design for the blog and there is even a little surprise in the background (remember, he is always watching).
I am still trying to find something that I can do daily to spice up the writing a bit, but for now, here is a pretty great video.



No comments: