Monday, January 26, 2009

I think I just heard your name on the news

I watch the news for about 2 minutes every morning. I don't like watching the news because it makes me lose hope in humanity and the world in general. I watch enough to see if the world has blown up and that's about all I can take. I read the newspaper, but it's just getting harder and harder to not cry when I open my eyes to the world around me, but boy am I glad I was watching this morning. Apparently there has been a controversy for the last couple of days about The mayor of Portland, Oregon and his sexual relationship with an underage intern. That in and of itself didn't really catch my attention, because let's be honest, who cares? People of power use that power for sex and have done so since biblical times. It just happens, what caught my ear was that this intern was male. Now this post isn't to comment on the morality or immortality of homosexuality, but rather the experience of being outed by a Mayor on CNN. If that poor kid wasn't already out of the closet and out in a big way, he had a "shoot me in the face" moment. "Hey, mom, dad, you may have seen on the news, but when I was 17 I had an affair with the Portland Mayor...... ya I know the mayor is a man.
It's always a horrifying experience when your secrets come back to bite you and with them being paraded by magazines, newspapers and the television with your picture next to the older man that you slept with, I am sure it's at least four and half times harder.

I don't have much commentary on this one, just a great moment in "Shoot me in the Face" history.

No comments: