Tuesday, January 26, 2010

A guilt free lunch

Yesterday I scoured through my mother's fast food coupons that she keeps at her desk at work and decided that a buy one get one free six inch sub from subway would be the way to go for lunch. I headed to the local subway and ordered one spicy Italian sub and one Subway club. On my way out I was solicited by a homeless lady who was pushing her shopping cart (overflowing with boxes). She asked me for change and I said that I didn't have any and moved on to my car.
I will take a second here and just say that the advent of debit cards must be the bane of the existence of any beggar, because I, like many I know, never have cash on me and therefore would never have change.
Anyway, back to the story at hand. I was headed to my car when I distinctly felt, "you don't have any change, but you do have another sandwich." I continued to my car, but was thinking that maybe this was the reason that I had got the coupon and the reason I had 2 sandwiches as opposed to just one foot long. I thought that there was no way that I would not feel absolutely terrible if I didn't go give the beggar one of my sandwiches.
I spun around and walked up to the beggar and offered her my extra sandwich............... and she declined.
There were a couple of things I got from this:
1. How bad is Subway if a homeless person turns down their food?
2. What would the money have been used for?
3. I didn't give up a sandwich but I know that if I didn't offer, it would have been the most bitter meal I have ever had.
I will not by so cheesy as to have a moral to the story, but something interesting (for me at least) that I thought I would share with you.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting to see just how pervasive memory has become in our everyday lives. It's like everywhere I turn, I see something with a card slot or USB port, lol. I guess it makes sense though, considering how inexpensive memory has become as of late...

Gahhhh, who am I to complain. I can't get through a day without using my R4 / R4i!

(Posted from OperaMod for R4i Nintendo DS.)