Friday, August 8, 2008

You're an idiot......boss

I gave a presentation today in my last day of class. The presentation was just me pulling things out of my nether regions and throwing them against the wall to see what would stick, much like a monkey. Most of my college experience has been comparable to a zoo; a zoo that charges thousands upon thousands of dollars to go inside and once inside, you realize that it's just animatronic animals behind glass and is in no way representative of the real animal out in the wild. (that was an interesting analogy (but to be honest, college is more like one continuous rape shower, you just feel dirty the entire time (because you pay so much))).

Anyway, back to the presentation. I was giving a presentation on Chicano English. It was funny because every time I told someone at work what I was writing about, they immediately responded, "oh you mean spanglish." I guess I never really thought about it, but ya, I was writing about Spanglish. I made up some flattering (and totally false in my opinion) difference in between Chicano English and Spanglish, saying that Chicano English was to maintain cultural and family oriented words and Spanglish was for the ignorant who used one language because they really didn't know the word in the other.
So I am giving this presentation on Spanglish versus Chicano English and I am rolling with it. I think I am doing well. I talk about how Spanglish is bred from ignorance and so on, and then my professor chimes in and explains, that he speaks Spanglish and how proud he is to speak Spanglish.
Don't you just love those times when you say something along the lines of, "People that do _______ are idiots." Someone then responds, "I do _____" and you then respond, "point proven." Well..... I got the first two parts of that and everyone in the class (myself most of all) were thinking the third part of that series, but it's a little different when that person has the power to undo the work you have done in the last 5 weeks. I am yet to see if there was any backlash from my subversive, "you are an idiot," comments, but I am sure I will see.


1 comment:

0 said...

Haha, I love your description of college.