Friday, September 12, 2008

Who Wants to be a Racist Millionaire?

Good evening ladies and gentlemen and welcome to "Who Wants to be a Racist Millionaire?" the game in which contestants win prizes for guessing whether a certain act is racist or just plain idiocy (because jerkism isn't a word and my parents don't like when I use the word douchebaggery).

(audience applauds)

Are you ready to play?!

(audience screams)

OK, then let's get started!

Question number one: You are a dark skinned Spanish girl at a restaurant and a man is blocking the way to your seat and his wife's purse and his coat are lying where your bum will be. He looks up at you as you obviously make your way to the seat and he does nothing to resolve your seating dilemma . Is it racism or idiocy?

Is that your final answer?

Question number two: You are a Spanish speaking girl in an English 101 college course and the professor refers to you only as "The ESL (English as a second language) girl." Is it racism or idiocy?

Is that your final answer?

Question number three: This is a visual clue:

Is it racism or idiocy?


Is that your final answer?

You win.... and Johnny, tell them what they have won.
You have won a lifetime of confusion and insecurity about every move that you make, wondering if you, YES YOU, are a closet racist or at least viewed that way by everyone around you.

Ok......seriously, let's talk. All these things really happened. I am white......very white. My wife calls me milk sometimes to make fun of me, that is how white. My wife on the other hand is a relatively dark skinned south-American. (I call her "cow" to get back at her for calling me milk) I am pretty slow to claim racism, because I think racism is very serious, and I think that people are more selfish idiots than racists (I try to think the best of people). I personally feel that racism is used a little too much as an accusation for the cause of idiotic and rude behavior. The guy at the restaurant was just him being an inconsiderate jerk (I think). The teacher that referred to my wife only as "the ESL girl" was racist (there are more examples of her being blatantly racist, but that is the most obvious), and I think that the picture is just flat out hilarious. For those of you like me, who know nothing about basketball, the picture may seem very racist: A white guy in the middle of, and on a pedestal above four black guys. The guy in the middle is Kevin Nash, or Steve Nash, I don't know which one. I know that one is a professional basketball player and the other is a professional wrestler, but not sure which is which. Steve/Kevin Nash is also dressed in a different uniform. He is wearing all white as the other players are dressed in orange (jail jumpsuit colors). Ok, so they are the Phoenix Suns' colors, but still.
The point is..... one can find racism anywhere, but it's not real, unless it was really intended. Some people are jerks, some are real racists, and some are just clueless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi leche....jk. I just wanted to tell you that I love your blog and that you are pretty funny.