Thursday, September 4, 2008

Máteme

I am feeling a bit Spanish today. I don't know why, just felt the need. I love speaking with spanish people. First of all because they are always so amazed that someone as white as me (like a freaking ghost I tell you) speaks spanish, and speaking fluently makes me feel proud that I speak a second language. Spanish is a beautiful language. One problem with Spanish is that it's not very detailed. The language uses the same word to describe groups of objects without giving finite words to each object within a set group. I wish I had a good example, but I don't, and that is not the purpose of this entry anyway. The purpose is to tell you my favorite Spanish word. While Spanish can be incredibly vague at times, it also contains words that I wish existed in English, like my favorite word, "bagrero" (pronounced bog ray row). This gem literally means, "catfisher," but it's dictionary definition is, "He that makes love to ugly women." That's right.... there is a word for your guy or girl friend that dates someone drastically inferior to their own physical beauty. How in the world would I know this? When I was learning spanish, I read the dictionary...... yes I read the dictionary, not the Spanish-English dictionary, but rather the actual Spanish dictionary. It was tiresome and boring at times, but if nothing else, "bagrero" made it all worth the while.

No comments: