Monday, July 4, 2011

Honey, can I take off my shoes?


That question can be interpreted, "can I please be done for the day?"

We have a water cooler that uses 5 gallon containers which need to be filled up once a week or so. When I have to get water the process is as follows:
collect jugs
find the lids
put the jugs in the car
drive a mile to the water store
fill up the jugs
carry the full jugs one at a time to my car
drive home
carry the jugs one at a time in the house
put one of the jugs in the water cooler (which means that I am going to get wet to some degree.

You know what the worst part of that whole process is? Even before the first step, it's putting on my shoes. I shower and get dressed in the beginning of my day like everyone else, but whether I am leaving the house immediately or not, I put on my shoes. My shoes stay on until the end of my day. Removing my shoes is less an act of comfort than an outward sign that I am done for the day. Sometimes my shoes don't come off until bedtime, but sometimes at noon I will ask my wife, "honey, can I take off my shoes?" and that is me asking permission to spend the rest of the day in the house.

Of course, putting on the shoes is not really a problem, but it's the step I hate the most because it's starting an errand on a day I had already promised to a mixture of the couch and the bed.

4 comments:

Steven said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steven said...

Please don't lose your sense of humor. The "Oh Shame, there you are." post was a little strange. The whole part about you feeling shame for others, the whole religious thing, the whole "we" mormons part. just my 2cents. Keep the posts coming!!

Terri said...

i understand that taking off your schoes is end of day. then to leave socks off as well (check out earthing book by steven sinatra
for water, don't you just hate the lugging. try kangen water. one of the best investments i made in health is the water system (not just a filer)

Terri said...

hey congrats on new baby. did you know that in the cord are the first adult stem cells. hope the cord was "milked down" so all stem cells went back into new baby. http://www.4families.stemtechbiz.com