Saturday, July 9, 2011

Think, Think, Don't Speak

I will get back to lackluster insights and embarrassing stories from my youth, but my mind has been occupied with babies recently. I definitely have a father's eye now. I think babies are cute, that is unless they are ugly and I would even tell their parents that I think they are cute, but I have one large problem. About three months ago I decided I wasn't going to shave or get my hair cut until Evelyn joins us in the land outside the womb. Don't ask my why, I just thought it would be funny to have the first picture with Evelyn be insane.

I think that people need to be self aware when they make certain comments. A 300lb man should not interject in a conversation about dieting, unless he used to be 500lbs... in that case, congratulations buddy, you're doing great. A white guy shouldn't talk to his black friends about being the victim of prejudice. For me, a guy that hasn't shaved, had his hair cut, or kept good grooming habits for the last several months shouldn't comment on how cute your baby is. If a guy that looked like me, came up to my son and commented on his appearance, I would think that he wanted to eat him (on a completely unrelated side note, that baby in the super market looked delicious).
(This is not me by the way, but how would you like this creepy mess to tell you your baby is cute?)
Sometimes people want to open their mouths without thinking, but you don't want to be the cop that shoots himself talking about gun safety.

No comments: