Wednesday, October 2, 2013

Role playing with a dude on the telephone

It wasn't quite a kinky as the title would make it seem. I had a telephone interview today with USAA. It is a little awkward to have interviews for jobs while on lunch from the one I currently work.

I am sure anyone that reads this thing is as sick of hearing about my job search as I am of looking for a job, so let's discuss something else.
I watched the entire third season of Walking Dead today (one of the benefits of working from home). I never got into comic books. I had friends that were way into them, but it never clicked for me. My friends would recommend less super hero type comic books and more "graphic novels" which is the basis for The Walking Dead. The paper comic industry has been hit pretty hard recently. The movie studios are doing great with their licenses, but the actual comics have declined in popularity in the last several years, or at least they had until they found a new home on tablets. Tablets offer a new and easy way to store and read comics.

I took the opportunity a few weeks ago to download the first Walking Dead comic (it was available for free) and it was actually pretty good. I enjoy some solid zombie fiction (as opposed to zombie non fiction which is just so boring). It didn't give me the impulse to put any money into comics, but I didn't think I had wasted my time either. Robert Kirkman (creator of The Walking Dead) has said in the past that he doesn't believe in heroes, but rather that he just tells stories about people and tries to make the zombie apocalypse as real as possible. That is to say that there is no Arnold Schwartzanegger of the zombie apocalypse, but just a bunch of people who will probably get killed and have horrible experience in the mean time.

We are going through a very interesting time in popular media when not only are anti-heroes popular, but the most popular shows on TV feature stories in which nothing good happens to any of the main characters. Breaking Bad, The Walking Dead, and Game of Thrones are all great examples of this. It seems that for many people, the time has come to stop dreaming of a super hero in their media, but to watch people suffer. Instead of wishing for a hero to help us escape, we now escape our own sufferings by watching someone else suffer much more. The acting is pretty darn good too.

This is getting a little too deep and probably pretentious for my taste, so we will stop until tomorrow, when I can fill this page with more rambling ravings of the psychopath that is me.

Good night.

No comments: