Thursday, July 24, 2008

Don't pimp me please..... I can do it myself

CNN is airing a new documentary that they did and for the sake of this conversation, it doesn't matter what the documentary is, because that is not what I want to talk about. I didn't even see the documentary. What I did see though is the commercial. The commercial goes as follows, "Watch our groundbreaking new documentary, tonight at 7pm eastern." Ok, a normal sounding commercial I guess, until one looks a little bit deeper. Who is calling the documentary groundbreaking? THEY ARE! They can't do that! A person isn't allowed to praise their own work as genius or likewise, then it loses all it's meaning.

I would like to take just a moment and say that my blog is groundbreaking. My blog is revolutionary. My blog is unlike any blog that is out there and it will change your life. I give my blog a perfect 10, five stars and two thumbs up. It is as beautiful as it is inspired as it is simply a piece of art worthy of a center spot in a museum. There is not a person on this earth that would not benefit in some way from my blog. Oh and by the way, my farts smell like daisies, and my urine cures cancer (now that's a review!).

AAAAHHHHH! (I don't know why this pisses me off so much) A person has to wait for the accolades of someone else. You can't review yourself, that is the point of a review, it is to view again a work and give a critical analysis of whatever is being viewed (art, music, literature, movies, your self proclaimed masterpiece).

That leads me to think that they were trying to make a masterpiece, which normally leads to disaster. When people try to make a masterpiece it is awful, because their delusions of grandeur blur their vision and they can't see the real crap that they are producing. This is why remakes of movies are usually so terrible. The directors are so consumed with making whatever they are doing into a masterpiece that they forget to try to make it good. Abraham Lincoln's "Gettysburg Address", Martin Luther King's "I have a dream," and "Don't pimp me please...... I can do it myself" weren't amazing because they tried to be, but rather because it's what was needed at that very moment. The writers were inspired by their surroundings. They were not self-acclaimed (except for this piece, this is truly genius) but rather they were credited by others and in many circumstances, after a long period of time after.

(I apologize in advance for this reference) When Scary Movie 2 came out there were commercials in which the actors half disguised themselves (dressed up to be obvious enough for any idiot that it was still the actors) as regular movie goers and gave (right out of the screening) reviews of the movie. This was in response to a controversy that had recently taken place in which a movie studio was using their own employees in after screening reviews for commercials (you really don't see those commercials anymore, maybe that controversy killed them).

Anyway, back to the point. CNN is a Wayans' brothers joke, which makes them...... pathetic and disgusting.

Anyway.... you can't review your own products, or I guess you can, you just end up as smart as the guy up at the top of the post. (hmm... not as strong of an ending as I would have like, but oh well.)

No comments: