Thursday, July 31, 2008

Jesus broke borders, and maybe some border laws

I don’t mean to be too blasphemous, but I promise that the title will make total sense in a couple of minutes. My Spanish professor from Los Angeles, that likes to pretend he is from Mexico is part of an organization to help Latin people in the state of Arizona (which I admit is very good (I guess I can’t dump on him for everything)). He invited the leader of this organization to speak with the class. I assumed that he would be talking about the organization and Guatemalan Americans (because he is one), but I was wrong. What he wanted to talk about was that we are all God’s children and when we die we go and meet Jesus Christ and that the color of our skin may be different, but we are all God’s children and that in the eyes of God we are all sinners, but he loves us.
Now, let me stop you right here and remind you, I go to Arizona State University, which is not a religious university, not even close. The speaker then talked about how God understands that we have to work hard and get ahead, and sometimes we have to tell little lies to save ourselves (…….) I am going to quote (translated from Spanish) the rest of his little lecture to give you a clear idea. “Jesus had to lie to save himself too, when the government was trying to kill him when he was a baby, Joseph and Mary, who were perfect, had to cross borders to save baby Jesus. Now some people have to cross borders, even illegally to save their family. "
……………………………………………………… (picking my jaw up off the floor and placing my eyes back in their sockets) Okay, let me preface my next comments. I am pretty liberal on the the subject of immigration, my wife is an immigrant from a Latin country, and I am a God fearing man. That being said……THAT IS THE STUPIDEST THING I HAVE EVER HEARD IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!
I normally have a pretty hard time staying awake in that class, but when the speaker compared Christ to illegal immigration, it was as if someone had just tasered my testicles. There was no going to sleep after that. I wonder if I should pick apart his comment, or I should leave stupidity to be interpreted by the reader. I will make a compromise. I won’t go over the big one, but I will say that he started off wrong. Mary and Joseph were not perfect. That little piece of false doctrine would actually undo all of Christianity, being that it is based on the sole perfection of Jesus Christ (the illegal immigrant).

No comments: